Let's say I try and bite you. How much is it gonna hurt? I'm...

September 6, 2008

How I Study


here's a new post on A Declaration of War. It's a small section of some work I did on Acts 20:17-38 for a Bible study class at church. Actually, both "War of the Worlds" and "Shepherding a Flock" are both excerpts from the work I did in the class. The Bible study, "How to Study the Bible So You Can Teach" was taught by our pastor Greg. The "Study Tools" section are links to some of the resources I used to study the passage from the class and I liked them so much that I use them nearly every time I study.

I love to study the Bible so much that sometimes it's hard for me to just sit down and read it. I was finding myself getting one or two verses into reading and then grabbing my interlinear Bible and concordance right away to do a word study. I would do it so often, I could hardly get anything read. Now, when I read, I try to have a notebook with me so that I can jot down notes on things I want to look into further.
I also get distracted pretty easily. There are a lot of really loud kids in the neighborhood, and to add to that, my dogs bark at them. It seems as though things that I would not normally give my attention are a million times louder or more annoying when I am trying to focus on reading and studying. At times like that, I try to remember not to get frustrated or angry and I pray that God will help me to give my undivided attention to His Word.

One thing I do to help me is set a goal for how much I want to read. Unless something that demands my attention comes up, like Caleb waking up from a nap, I commit to meeting that goal. Once I start reading, I usually do really well, but actually sitting down to read is another story. There are so many things that seem to get in the way. Sometimes I will realize that I have just watched an hour of TV that I didn't even find entertaining. I just turn my brain off and sit in front of it. It would be far more profitable for me to have spent that time reading my Bible. In fact, I think I will assign some memory verses to myself today...

Ephesians 5: 15-17

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.


Love,


Related Posts with Thumbnails
xanga statistics