Let's say I try and bite you. How much is it gonna hurt? I'm...

August 1, 2012

Just a Touch of the Sugar

I have recently learned that I have what we called in the South, "just a touch of the sugar." That means that I don't actually have "The Sugar" yet. So for you Yankees, by whom I am now surrounded, that means that I don't quite have diabetes yet, but I have pre-diabetes.

A touch of sugar might be a sweet sounding way of saying it, but everyone in the South knows that The Sugar isn't sweet at all. The Sugar killed my Paw Paw, and many people in the South suffer from Diabetes. I don't have any statistics, but you don't need statistics to see why. Cooking with lard, battering and deep-frying anything you can get your hands on, overly hot weather makes it hard to get outside and be active, and many more things contribute to Southerners being plagued by diabetes.

Lucky for me, this was caught early. I now have a chance to turn things around. I have an appointment with my Primary Care doctor today to discuss some things and I am being referred to a nutritionist so that I can get even more information about how I can make myself healthy and avoid this totally avoidable disease.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
xanga statistics