Let's say I try and bite you. How much is it gonna hurt? I'm...

August 25, 2008

Child Training: The Begining of the Begining


ecently, a friend of mine lent me the book, "To Train up a Child" by Michael & Debi Pearl. I'd heard a lot about this book and several of my friends are reading it. I was so excited to get my hands on a copy that I went straight home and read it. It works great! This book changed my whole outlook on discipline. I had an idea evolving in my head about how discipline worked and this book nipped it in the bud before I developed any bad habbits. This is part of the update I wrote to the friend that lent the me book.

Caleb and I used to watch sesame street on the laptop everyday, but he started banging the keys so hard that I had to stop. Eventually, his desire for the computer was so great, I had to keep it out of the room or he would cry if it was not in his reach.

I read To Train up a Child during his naptime and when he woke up I used the computer in his first training session. After about 10 or 15 corrections he would reach for the computer and when I told him, "No, no. Don't touch that" he would withdraw his hand and cry.

We went out to dinner and when we came home, I was able to hold him and use the computer at the same time without him reaching for it... until he decided to try to sneak and touch it with his toes. Can you believe it?! He would sneak just one little toe out and touch it. All I had to do was tell him "No, no" and he would withdraw his foot. This turned into our second training session.

Today, we were able to watch Sesame Street again. Caleb reached out for the computer, but withdrew his hand when I said, "No, no." He tried a new alternative, touching the computer with his stuffed animals, but was not upset or discouraged when he discovered this also was not allowed. The reason I felt compelled to write this blog is because now when I tell Caleb, "No, no. Don't touch that" He doesn't cry, he doesn't rebel, he turns around and KISSES ME!

This is a great start. I am so thankful for this book. I am going to have such a happy time raising and training my child!

Love,

Related Posts with Thumbnails
xanga statistics